September Snack Attack – Healthy Bean Salad!15 Sep
Right, time for another tasty, healthy lunchbox treat from Shanise, our resident font of nutrition knowledge!
Did you check out last weeks recipe? In case you missed it, we’re basically celebrating September being “Back to School” month by bringing you a healthy lunchbox recipe every week to help keep your little ones lunches interesting and nutritious. It gets boring having sandwiches and crisps every day, and it doesn’t take much money or effort to do better than that! This weeks recipe is a Healthy Bean Salad. The recipe serves 4, so you can make a batch and feed the family all at once. Give it a go and let us know what you and your kids think of it!
- 240g canned chick peas, rinsed
- 240g canned kidney beans, rinsed
- 160g cooked pasta, drained
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 4 spring onion, sliced
- 120g feta cheese (we forgot this one on the portion pictured above!)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to pack instructions
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, rinse and drain the chickpeas, kidney beans, and sweetcorn, and slice the cherry tomatoes and spring onion.
- Place the cooked pasta along with the rest of the ingredients into a bowl, then add the olive oil and the salt and pepper.
- Stir it thoroughly until combined
- Serve with a bit of crumbled feta cheese!
It’s dead simple, full of flavour, and when served alongside an apple, makes for a filling lunch!
What’s in it?
Now, let’s take a look at the nutritional details. The Healthy Bean Salad contains 382 calories per serving, and is both low in sugar and high in fibre, which is great for your digestive system. High fibre meals keep you full for longer too, so you’re less likely to be tempted to snack later in the day.
So, try it out and let us know what you think. Share your fabulous food photos over on Facebook and Twitter, we’d love to see them! Keep an eye open next week for our next recipe too!