Small changes you can make today to lose weight!8 Jan
2 days into your new fitness regime and expecting results already? Think again!
When we want to lose weight, we can often make considerable changes to our daily diet and expect a huge weight loss by the end of the week.
You’ll often find that small lifestyle changes can snowball into big results, more so than trying fad diets so give a few of these a go and see how you get on!
Here are some of our big tips for small changes you can make in your life!
- Start carrying around a water bottle! Even if you keep it on your desk or in your bag, drinking more can really help with losing weight. Not drinking enough can make your body mistake thirst for hunger; so by keeping a water bottle with you and setting goals for how many glasses/bottles you drink a day, you can keep yourself hydrated.
- Staying on what we drink, cutting down alcohol is an amazing way to keep you not only healthy but lose weight too. Alcohol includes a lot of calories; especially cocktails that are full of sugary fruit juice. A Margarita has over 700 calories, and a Pina Colada has nearly 650 calories. Shots of alcohol in drinks have around 100 calories each as well!
- Watching the texture of your food can help you see which foods are better for you – foods like ice cream and mashed potato are easy to eat and a lot creamier. You can still enjoy foods like this; however, recognising how easy it is to eat so much of them can help you manage your intake.
- Oil is another way to rack up calories, no matter how good the oil is for you. We can tend to think that the better the oil is for us, the more we can use; by doing this, we can end up having a lot more oil in our diets than needed.
- Many of us love to multitask when eating; whether this is watching TV or keeping busy with something else. By multitasking when eating, you can end up mindless eating, which can lead to you eating a lot more than you wanted to before. If you can, sit down at a table and just focus on your meal, you’ll find it more filling and satisfying that way!
- A lot of packaged and processed food contains higher sodium, fat and sugar than fresh foods. Make 2020 the year you try to learn to make more with fresh ingredients, whether that’s following recipes or just chucking ingredients into a pot and hoping for the best!
- Make plans with friends that don’t always involve drinking or eating! Such a simple idea can help with your daily diet; by sightseeing, going on a walk or to the zoo can help you enjoy a day out and spend time with friends that isn’t just a meal out or going for drinks.
- Better sleep is probably one of the less obvious tips on how to help lose weight. Not getting enough sleep can increase stress levels leading people to stress eat; sleeping more not only helps reduce stress, but you’ll also feel more awake and healthier!
Give these small changes a little go and see how they help you change your lifestyle habits to healthier habits!